- 52 views
Ashamed Church Leaders Respond to Report on Clerical Sexual Abuse
A mounting crowd of church leaders and Diocese officials responded to the sweeping state grand jury report released on Aug. 14 that detailed widespread clerical sexual abuse in Pennsylvania and the Roman Catholic Church's systematic coverups. Leaders from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) issued a joint statement on the highly anticipated 884-page report. "As a body of bishops, we are shamed by and sorry for the sins and omissions by Catholic priests and Catholic bishops," the statement said. "We are profoundly saddened each time we hear about the harm caused as a result of abuse, at the hands of a clergyman of any rank." The group will host a series of meetings this week on cultivating safe environments within the church and will give an update upon its conclusion. The report lists 301 'predator priests' credibly accused of sexually abusing more than 1000 child victims, the majority of whom were boys. Due to continuing legal battles, more than a dozen names and related information remain redacted. "We believe that the real number of children whose records were lost or who were afraid ever to come forward is in the thousands," the grand jury report stated. Chuch leaders have acknowledged in the past that over 17,000 people nationwide have reported being molested. Many of the identified priests will not face justice as most are already deceased and for those still alive, the alleged crimes are too old to be prosecuted. The findings cover abuse by clergy dating back up to 70 years in six of eight Pennsylvania dioceses, including Allentown, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, and Scranton. Two were already covered by previous reports. Uniform Response Each Diocese's response to the report was noticeably similar, they expressed their sorrow and highlighted steps in protecting children, some also added new names of accused clergy as a show of transparency, albeit a slow one. In the Diocese of Pittsburgh alone, 99 clergies were accused, while in others the number fluctuated around 50. Chuch administrators were accused of routinely covering up the claims of abuse by dissuading victims from reporting abuse, pressuring law enforcement to terminate investigations, or conducted their own biased investigations. The Diocese of Greensburg on Aug. 13 responded by releasing a list of 21 clergymen, with some new names who had “credible and substantiated allegations” against them. Some clergy were already deceased, while others had been removed previously. “Some of these names may be familiar to you; others may not,” a statement from the diocese said. “This is an evolving list of those who, based on prior credible and substantiated allegations of child sexual abuse submitted to the diocese." The Diocese of Erie followed suit by adding five new names to their publicized list of clergy and lay men and women—the total number now stands at 72. "The Diocese of Erie will not shroud abusers in secrecy—no matter who they are or how long ago the abuse occurred," Erie Bishop Lawrence Persico said. A week before the report's public release, the Diocese of Harrisburg posted their own list. They said that they removed positions of honor from any clergy named in the report. The Diocese's bishop, Ronald W. Gainer, said on Aug. 14 that they "will continue to make amends for the sins of our past." Previously, the Diocese of Pittsburgh said they would post the names of accused clergy from their diocese after the grand jury report is released "out of respect for the work." As of Aug. 15, the list was not released. In an emailed statement to The Epoch Times, the Diocese of Allentown said the past abuse was "abhorrent and tragic," while adding that "much has changed over the past 15 years." Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro, whose office led the investigation, fought for the report to be made public. He said of the church "Above all else, they protected their institution above all costs."