- 607 views
Residents of cracked tower building in Sydney forced to leave for second time
Hundreds of residents of a tower block in Sydney began leaving their homes for a second time in five days on Friday (December 28), after cracks were initially discovered in the building on Christmas Eve. The builder of the Opal Tower, Icon, told residents at a heated meeting on Thursday (December 27), that they would have to vacate their homes for up to ten days, so that a prompt investigation of the building could take place. Director of Icon, Julian Doyle, said he could not guarantee whether the residents would be allowed to return to their homes after the ten days. Residents began hearing cracking sounds on Monday (December 24), forcing emergency services to evacuate the tower and neighbouring areas, anticipating the collapse of the building. Icon later confirmed that a pre cast concrete panel had collapsed on the tower block, which was only completed earlier this year.