We use cookies to understand how you use our site and to improve your experience. This includes personalizing content and advertising. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of Cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
  • 9.0K views
  • Edit

South Korea Releases Footage of North Korea Destroying DMZ Guard Posts

2018-11-22 14:54
The South Korean Defense Ministry released video they said showed North Korea blowing up 10 guard posts in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) on Tuesday, November 20, as part of the peace process between the two countries. North Korea notified South Korea about the demolition plan on Sunday, November 18, Yonhap news agency said. According to the Korea Herald, South Korea had already begun demolition work on Nov. 12. During a summit in September, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to dismantle the 155-mile heavily fortified border, which was established following the Korean War. The two countries agreed that each of them would destroy 10 guard posts. “By the end of November, the two Koreas’ militaries will have completely removed the 20 guard posts that they had promised to completely destroy,” the South Korean Defense Ministry said in a statement. “We will thoroughly verify [the work] by the end of December.” North Korea reportedly has around 160 guard posts inside the DMZ, while South Korea is believed to have 60 guard posts.